ValueEcoServ - The assessment of the ecosystem services provided by protected areas in Romania
Project Promoter: National Centre for Sustainable Development
Funding: EEA Grants Financial Mechanism 2009 - 2014 - the RO02 Programme - "Biodiversity and ecosystems services"
Programme Operator: Ministry of the Environment, Waters and Forests
• To improve knowledge and to provide assistance in the process of policies' elaboration on the ecosystems' contribution to economic sectors.
• To improve general knowledge regarding the contribution of the natural and semi-natural ecosystems from protected areas to the main economic sectors in Romania;
• To assist decision makers in elaborating policies regarding the economic integration of ecosystem services into their accounting and reporting systems;
• To improve the level of knowledge, information and awareness of various interest groups, including the general public, regarding ecosystem services.
The project is implemented in 3 Natura 2000 Sites of Community Importance (SCI): ROSCI0002 - Apuseni, ROSCI0067 - Deniz Tepe, ROSCI0224 - Scrovistea
• Regions: Bucuresti-Ilfov, Centru, Nord-Vest, Sud-Est, Sud-Muntenia;
• Counties: Alba, Bihor, Cluj, Dambovita, Ilfov, Prahova, Tulcea.
The implementation area of the project will then be enlarged to at least 10 more Sites of Community Importance, which will be selected by taking into account a similarity in structural configuration with the initially selected areas and the availability of data and of the sites' custodians/administrators to participate in the process of evaluation.
• Activity A.1. Quantification of the services provided by natural and semi-natural ecosystems from the protected pilot areas;
• Activity A.2. Economic evaluation of the services provided by natural and semi-natural ecosystems from the protected pilot areas;
• Activity A.3. Extrapolation of results with respect to the values of ecosystem services from protected pilot areas to similar areas;
• Activity A.4. The analysis of the contribution of the natural and semi-natural ecosystems from protected areas to the main economic sectors;
• Activity A.5. Identifying payment mechanisms for ecosystem services;
• Publicity and Information activities;
• Project Management Activities.
Budget: 282,903.75 Euro = 1,253,631.39 RON (85% funded by the EEA Grants Financial Mechanism 2009 - 2014; 5% funded from the national budget; 10% cofinanced by the Project Promotor.
The project contributes to the general objective of RO02 Programme - Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, namely Halt loss of Biodiversity, by providing information and current data regarding the demand of ecosystem services and their beneficiaries, as well as data regarding the quality and quantity of ecosystem services, and by providing advice for the proper management of natural resources and a better integration of aspects related to biodiversity within sectoral policies and legislation.
The EEA Grants Financial Mechanism 2009 - 2014 is aimed at reducing economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area and at strengthening bilateral relations between Donor and Beneficiary Countries.