Implementation period: April 2002 - March 2003
The NCSD developed a project supported by the World Bank on "Strengthening citizens' capacity to influence and contribute to the development of the community" with special reference to the educational system in the city of Giurgiu.
The goal of the project was to establish a partnership between the civil society and local authorities leading to a programme to introduce the concept of sustainable development in the educational process and to improve the city’s educational infrastructure.
The project included the establishment of three Working Groups (public participation, informal education, and project development) comprising representatives of City Hall, teachers association, parents associations, Inspectorate for Education, the media, etc. The tasks of the WGs were to analyze the educational process in Giurgiu and propose measures to improve it (a brochure was produced and distributed to all schools) and to prepare a brochure describing the basic needs, fund rising procedures and the best ways to write a project proposal. The materials were distributed to all interested institutions and the community was periodically informed about the progress made.
In order to disseminate good practice an exchange of experience was organized with School No. 4 "Elena Donici" in Pucioasa (a national pace-setter school for the modernization of the educational process). A group of teachers and members of the Inspectorate for Education, City Hall and the media from Giurgiu visited the school and attended demonstration courses.
The main topics of the discussion included:
- Development of the reform process in accordance with current legislation;
- Introduction of innovative methods in teaching and training; reshaping working relations in order to improve teaching performance including the introduction of mutually challenging systems of communication between teachers;
- Opening the school to the national and international educational environment, and adoption of creative teaching methods;
- How to solve the financial problems in schools through special projects and programmes;
- Promoting new relations with the local community, including the involvement of teachers and students in solving the problems of the community;
- Promoting a new working style based on cooperation and teamwork.